Further to my previous post, it’s not like I’ve been lolling around in silk lingerie eating bon-bons all day instead of blogging, you know. I have in fact been making major improvements and renovations in the Library, including the addition of a spectacular new wing to house the Palace enemies list.*
- 700 Club. The television ministry of one Rev. Pat Robertson. Here he is suggesting a man beat his “rebellious” “child-like” wife.
- Catholic League. A one-man “league” comprised of serial self-promoter and ultra-rightwing Catholic dipshit Bill Donohue (a.k.a. ultra-rightwing Catholic dipshit Antonin Scalia).
- Concerned Women for America. Christian Patriarchy Enforcement Brigades, Women’s Auxiliary Unit.
- Ann Coulter. Quoth she: “I’m a Christian first, and a mean-spirited, bigoted conservative second, and don’t you ever forget it.”
- Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood. Biblical Patriarchy 101: lots of submission for women (no, not the fun kind), strict gender binaries, anti-feminist, anti-gay, etc. Affiliated with The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary.
- Democratic Leadership Council (DLC). The original blueprint for all the corrupt, corporatist conservative Democrats who now control the party: supportive of Social Security privatization, NAFTA, the Iraq War, charter schools, “welfare reform,” and Bush’s
NoEvery Child Left Behind Act while rigorously opposing single-payer universal health care and denouncing anti-war activism as “anti-American fringe” and “the loony left.” They put in charge this smirking sociopath who promptly ran it into the ground, eclipsed by the right-wing Dem think tank Third Way — which espouses exactly the same rotten conservative policies and “principles.”
- Eagle Forum. Monument to Phyllis Schlafly’s spectacular career as an anti-feminist, made possible by…feminism.
- Family Research Council. Patriarchy Central: anti-gay, anti-feminist, anti-abortion, anti-immigrant, anti-liberal, anti-sex, anti-secular, anti-equality, anti-awesome.
- Focus on the Family. James Dobson’s personal cult; the “focus” is on authoritarian marriage and parenting, with a heaping helping of Jeezuz.
- Fox News.
- Rush Limbaugh. Bloviating chickenhawk narcissist pig with a radio audience of millions.
- Mission: America. Headquarters for right-wing Christian Janet Harvey’s “war against homosexuality.”
- Republican National Committee. “Hub of all information related to the Republican Party.”
- Third Way. A Democratic “think tank” dedicated to economic conservatism, the ideology currently dominating the power center of the party.
It’s still a work-in-progress: although the Democratic Party is of course represented, I have yet to add the DSCC, DCCC, DNC and other nefarious villains and evildoers pretending to be liberals.
CRITICAL THINKING, RATIONALITY & SKEPTICISM
- Field Guide to Critical Thinking. Lett, J., Committee for Skeptical Inquiry, (Fall 1990)
- lesswrong.com. “A community blog devoted to refining the art of human rationality.”
- List of cognitive biases (Wikipedia)
- List of common misconceptions (Wikipedia)
- JREF. (James Randi Educational Foundation.) An educational resource on the paranormal pseudoscientific and the supernatural. Longstanding offer of $1 million prize to “anyone who can show, under proper observing conditions, evidence of any paranormal, supernatural, or occult power or event.”
- MediaSmarts. Canada’s Centre for Digital and Media Literacy.
- Rationality vs. intelligence. Stanovich, K., Project Syndicate (Apr. 2009)
- Science Based Medicine.
- Skeptics’ Guide to the Universe.
And that’s to say nothing of recent additions to the Palace’s extensive quote collection:
The Democratic Party is not only a necropolis where activists decay into bureaucrats; it’s also a toxic growth poisoning the soil where activism grows — the crabgrass or milfoil that crowds out all the other species and devours all the nutrients. It is not merely an alternative to activism; it is the enemy of activism, and thus the enemy of any politics worthy of the name — by which I mean politics that goes beyond an empty, meaningless rivalry between two white-collar street gangs for the spoils of office. –Michael J. Smith
Few people become assholes reluctantly. –Geoffrey Nunberg
I’m sure we can count on the billionaires to be generous and give more than enough money to hospitals for the poor to adequately care for them. And gruel. I’m sure there would be gruel. –digby
In social justice, not all tactics that are divisive are effective, but all tactics that are effective are divisive. That doesn’t mean we should set our phasers to “divide,” but when a tactic is labeled as “divisive” or “radical”, there is a chance it might be one worth considering. Effective tactics are divisive because the majority is most comfortable with activism that is ineffective. [Emphasis in original.] –Garland Grey
Intelligent design is a philosophy of ignorance. You cannot build a program of discovery on the assumption that nobody is smart enough to figure out the answer to a problem. –Neil deGrasse Tyson
I would never underestimate a combination of wealthy plutocrats, churches, right wingers with an ax to grind and a willingness among all of them to cheat their way to victory. That’s an American success story in the making.-digby
KILL THE “($;&(:#* LIBERAL HECKLERS! –Ann Coulter
No, entitled violent douchebaggery is not a mental illness. People WITH mental illness generally are better behaved and don’t deserve being blamed and diminished by conflation with assholes. –Pteryxx
[T]he only thing that will make the Democrats change is the prospect of annihilation if they don’t. And the only way to raise that specter before their eyes is for their captive constituencies to desert them in droves. As long as they think you have nowhere else to go, they will take you for granted. And the only way to convince them you have somewhere else to go is… to go there. –Michael J. Smith
People are always studying successful political movements in America hoping to learn how to make it happen for their own cause. For my money, there is nobody who has done it better than the NRA. They’ve made mass murder as common as the weather and they’re so powerful they’ve completely dismantled any opposition. Who else can claim such success? –digby
You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty. –Jessica Mitford
Okay, so maybe there were a few bon-bons. Here and there.
* We are aware that an “enemies list” has some unfortunate historical overtones. On the other hand, “Compilation of people and organizations who have inexplicably declared war upon our persons, the foundational principles of our democracy and everything we value” doesn’t quite deliver the same punch.